Re: Resonant rise in spark-excited TCs/ possible or not?

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Regarding disruptive Tesla coils: I've read for years
from various sources that the secondary "rings up" to
achieve high voltage. In my mind, resonant rise was a
given. This seems logical considering the low k
between the primary and secondary. In other words,
several half-cycles ping the secondary, "ringing" it
up to progressively higher potential due to...resonant
rise, right? The disruptive coil doesn't really excite
the secondary with a single massive pulse, but rather
a train of very closely spaced half-cycles. I don't
see why resonant rise should be incompatible with
disruptive coil theory.

 > Original poster: "Jolyon Cox"
 > <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>
 >
 > Dear List,
 > With regard to recent discussions concerning whether
 > or not resonant rise
 > occurs in spark-gap excited TCs, is it not feasible
 > that these do in fact
 > exhibit such behavior -to a certain extent at least-
 > due to the fact that
 > the magnetic coupling between primary and secondary
 > coils is not perfect,
 > and the resulting "leakage" reactance (from the
 > noncoupled flux) which
 > exists in series with the "ideal" transformer (the
 > coupled flux) could at
 > least in theory be made to participate in
 > series-resonance with the primary
 > and secondary capacitors across the turns ratio of
 > the  ideal transformer?
 >
 > Jolyon.

=====
Gregory R. Hunter