Re: Calculating and Measuring Resonant Frequency / Inductance of Secondary Coil (magnifier)

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Dan,

I ran your specs from your page in Javatc. I'll pop in the inputs I used
and show the outputs below. The 606kHz your showing is about double what it
should show. I showed 312 kHz on the driver. The primary is down around 178
kHz at 7 turns, so you'll have to tap somewhere around 3.5. turns.
Something else to note: k at 7 turns is at 0.361 which looks pretty good!
But, once you tap to resonance, k will drop to 0.288 (so you will probably
end up raising the primary). BTW, maximum coupling on the system (as is)
would be 0.466 (when the primary is centered in the middle of the secondary).

Take care,
Bart
PS: Thanks for putting up your maggy page!

Units = inches
Surrounding Inputs:
100 = Ground Plane Radius
100 = Wall Radius
150 = Wall Height
100 = Ceiling Radius
150 = Ceiling Height
Secondary Coil Inputs:
Current Profile = G.PROFILE_LINEAR
8 = Radius 1
8 = Radius 2
5 = Height 1
29 = Height 2
216 = Turns
14 = Wire Awg
Primary Coil Inputs:
11.75 = Radius 1
11.75 = Radius 2
5 = Height 1
10.5 = Height 2
7 = Turns
0.5 = Wire Diameter
0.0185 = Primary Cap (uF)
0 = Desired Coupling (k)
Top Load Object Inputs (dimensions & topload or ground connection):

Toroid #1: minor=2, major=20, height=31, topload
Disc #1: inside=0, outside=16, height=31, topload
Secondary Outputs:
311.87 [kHz] = Secondary Resonant Frequency
90 [deg°] = Angle of Secondary
9 = Turns Per inch
1.5 = H/D Aspect Ratio
2.29 [ohms] = DC Resistance
16157 [ohms] = Reactance at Resonance
8.245 [mH] = Les-Effective Series Inductance
9.577 [mH] = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
31.585 [pF] = Ces-Effective Shunt Capacitance
70.614 [pF] = Cdc-Low Frequency Capacitance
Primary Outputs:
178.23 [kHz] = Primary Resonant Frequency
90 [deg°] = Angle of Primary
0.286 [inch] = Average spacing between turns (edge to edge)
3.75 [inch] = Primary to Secondary Clearance
43.102 [uH] = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
231.63 [uH] = Lm-Mutual Inductance
0.361 [k] = Coupling Coefficient
2.77 = Number of half cycles for energy transfer at K
7.12 [uS] = Time for total energy transfer (ideal quench time)