RE: Capacitor value not clear yet.

Hi Again,

I should point out why one should never short across a primary cap (or put
a spark gap directly across the primary cap).  If you have a straight piece
of wire that you short that cap with, there is very little
inductance.  Then Z may only be say one ohm (mostly in the big bright arc!).

20000 volts / 1 ohm = 20000 amps!!!

That can destroy a cap!!!  Best to use bleeder resistors IMHO.  Or, get a
big power resistor of about 1000 ohms and put it on a long insulated
plastic stick.

Check out Bert's site about using giant super high current caps to crush
quarters:

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

A little over 1,000,000 amps there ;-))

Cheers,