RE: Magnifier Primary Capacitors - EQUIDRIVE vs. STANDARD (bleeder resistors)

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Encasing the string in PVC may keep fingers out of harm's way, but there is
also the issue of capacitor health.  If a slow DC bias develops across a
cap - let's say it works its way up to 1000V, and the power supply begins
to charge the string up to its rated potential, adding 1600V to each cap,
then that cap will see a final charge of 2600V.  That's a serious
overstressing of its rating.  Granted, these numbers were pulled from the
air and experimenting to determine the actual behavior would make an
interesting study, but you get the idea.  Overall, bleeder resistors are
cheap and would seem to be a good idea on several fronts.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

What I do now with my MMCs is to build them and put them inside a piece
of PVC pipe.  I attach screw terminals
to end caps on each end of the small PVC pipe and have a nice capacitor
which is insulated from the ground its
laying on.  Also, since the internal portion of the capacitor isn't
really accessible (unless you took it apart),
risk from shock from internally charge capacitors is minimum.

Dan