Re: SRSG or ARSG

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Steve,

A non sync rotary, which is based on an AC motor is not good, it will
deliver streamers that change in size in a surging manner, and provoke
safety gap firings inbetween.

A non sync gap based on a DC motor is great, because it is possible to make
interesting sounds from the coil, it`s like reving a combustion engine. It
is hard to make it perform with relatively big caps, but with relatively
small caps and accordingly high breakrates, the output of such a coil can
get competitive.

Personally, I like the syncronous gap most, because of it`s rock solid
sound. And because it is possible to adjust the electrodes so that the cap
reaches the same voltage each time it is discharged, even though the
breakrate is higher than double the line frequency.

There is no doubt in my mind that the ultimate is a non sync gap in a DC
sharging system, but I have no practical experience with that.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/museum/setup/setup.htm