Re: MMC Residual charge

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

 > I don't think that this effect is due to dissimilar cap values or
 > dielectric leakage resistance.  As I mentioned, I was unable to get a
 > simulator to replicate a charge accumulation.  I feel an experiment coming
 > on...

The efect is nonlinear. There is no way to leave charge somewhere in a
string of uncharged linear capacitors by exciting the string with an
AC voltage source. Corona across the capacitors is an obvious source
of these charges, as with all those soldered connections there are
many points and corners left, with lots of assymmetries that would
cause more current in one direction than in the other in many of the
gaps. Add some diodes in series with large resistors across some of
the capacitors in your simulation and see what happens.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz