Re: Necessity of NST Protection Filters and Safety Gaps

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Basically you just want a HV RC filter.  500pF and 1k R works out well to
most NST sizes.  Smaller NSTs should use lower value resistors - don't want
to waste too much power in the resistors on a small coil.  The "Terry
Filter" is a solid design using HV PP film capacitors identical to the MMC
capacitors (only smaller in value) and a "big" wirewound enameled power
resistor (25-50W is big when you're used to 1/2W or less).  And to throw in
some extra protection, some MOVs are added to clip any voltage spikes that
made their way through the filter.

I built one for my first coil, and I think was one of the first to ever
destroy one....  I guess I forgot to set the safety gaps
properly....  oops....  The MOVs are somewhat pricey and are only there as
"one last line of defense" so I have no problems recommending that the
budget concious omit them.  But I will say that replacing $20 in MOVs was a
lot easier than replacing 2 NSTs.  ;)

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTFilt.jpg

Although *I* may use them, The Geek Group has never used one, and hasn't
had a problem since we learned to properly set the safety gaps before every
run (that was before even *I* was a member).

Cheers.

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group