From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 6:40 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: H/D ratio

Original poster: "J Dow"

 >I found on the net in a few places stating that the maximum amount of
 >inductance from a coil is when the height is the same as the
 >diameter. This is a 1:1 ratio.
 >
 >If that is the best inductance ratio then why is this ratio not used
for
 >the tesla coil secondary to take advantage of a high inductance ratio
 >between the primary and secondary?
 >
 >Luke Galyan
 >Bluu-at-cox-dot-net

this is an interesting topic.
there are examples of pancake coils out there. it looks to me like it
would
be a fascinating experiment
to wind a 1500 turn coil that's only 1" tall and 10" across, the hole
thing
could be cast in epoxy.
the pri coil could be below or around it also cast in the epoxy.
I like the idea of alternative coil designs. I think it would be fun to
make a small coil with super insulation and over power it to the max and

see if you could get your 50" sparks out of a 10" disk.

read you later
Josh

_