From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 10:58 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Secondary size

Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>

  >Tom in the reply you just gave
  >you say pick a minimum height based on power input, to prevent
numerous
  >strikes to the primary /strike rail.
  >Wow how profound.

Glad to be of service :)

  >So what your reply is missing is the same thing all the others are
  >missing.  HOW does one do that.  Some would expect an arc of 50" to
  >travel 50" so it would be logical to make a coil taller than this so
the
  >arcs can not reach the bottom.  There were no guide lines given as to
  >what to base your statement on.

  >Its like telling someone to pick a car that will take them from las
  >Vegas to la and back on one tank of gas.  That is hard to do since
they
  >were never told anything about gas milage.

Rubbish. Many posts gave the 1.7*Sqrt(i/p pwr) = arc length, so I did
not
repeat it.

_snip_

  >Everyone else seems to have said just make it big enough.  They never
  >mentioned anything about how to figure out what big enough was.

I think you will find that many answers gave a rule of thumb. Try
reaeding
the posts again.

  >So telling me to make it tall enough to avoid strikes is good and I
knew
  >that before I ever asked.  But very few seem to actuall tell HOW they
  >figured that tall enough value out in the first place.

Again the 1.7*Sqrt(i/p pwr) was given many times, however this gives the
minimum height, you were asking about the *maximum* height. Many people
also
tried to piont out that this was not a reasonable question and show you
what
you should be asking.

I'm glad you now appear to understand, (from reading your other posts)
and
hope your coil turns out well.

Tom.