RE: Necessity of NST Protection Filters and Safety Gaps

Hi Luke,

At 12:04 AM 1/17/2004, you wrote:
>Thanx for the links
>That answers my question about inductors in the filter circuit.
>Using ohms law with a 60 ma NST the voltage drop across each resistor
>would be about 60 volts totaling 120 volts.  Does this hurt performance?
>Or is the 120 volts (0.8% of the NST output) small enough to be
>considered negligible?

It does hurt performance just slightly, but not enough to worry about.  Of
course, a blown NST really hurts performance ;-))

>And why is the capacitor value across the NST not needed to be any
>particular value?

The filter can have a pretty wide range of capacitance.  It is not
precisely tuned at all.  Probably any where from 10kHz to 50kHz.

Cheers,

         Terry