Re: Secondary size

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/17/04 2:10:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>And funny ou mention 6" by 27" coil that is what I decided on.  But the
>wire length I can get is a bit shorter so I have scaled back to 24".
>Think that should do the trick for me?

should be OK.

>I was wanting to use 20ga wire but have dropped to 24ga for higher turns
>and being able to buy it on a larger length roll.
>
>I am curious though if such hi currents are in the base of the secondary
>why is a heavier gauge not recommended.  It seems like it would stress
>the wire.
>Is it not a big deal because the current is more like a standing wave
>than a current passing through the wire?

The wire is not stressed due to the low duty cycle.
It's true you can reduce losses by using a thicker wire, but if you
do, you'll increase the spark gap losses to some degree due to
a lower primary surge impedance which will result.  It's always
a trade-off between wire losses and gap losses.  This is explained
in more detail at my website at:

<http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html>http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

Click on efficiency theory.

John