Re: Sources for MOTs

Original poster: David Speck <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Easiest way is to cruise the streets on the night before trash day.
Especially at this time of year, people are tossing the last generation
microwaves (and serviceable, working  computers) after getting new ones for
Christmas.  I see one at the curb nearly every week on my drive to
work.  The Sharp and Samsung units seem to have a short lifespan -- I get
lots of nearly new ones that are nice and clean inside.  Haven't
investigated as to their failure modes, but I've just grabbed the
transformers.  The evolution of the designs from the early to current
models is amazing.  The old ones have about 50 feet of wire heavy enough to
weld with inside, while the new imports have about 5 feet of telephone wire
inside.

The ones you really want are the old Litton or Kenmore MWOs.  They have
much larger, heavier and higher rated  transformers.  One very early Litton
MWO that I scrapped actually had a separate high voltage filament
transformer for the magnetron -- a neat find by itself, and the HV
transformer must have weighed 40 pounds.  Generally, the bigger the MWO
cabinet, the bigger the tranny will be.

My community also has an unguarded dumpster at the waste transfer station
where residents can toss scrap metal.  It's actually more of a community
trade space, as I'd bet that 80% of what's thrown in there it taken home by
someone else.  I've learned to gut a MWO  in about 7 minutes -- just
balancing the chassis on the corner of the dumpster and extracting the
parts I can use.  Much easier that dragging the whole thing home, and much
less likely to bring home unwanted critters.  If the local government is
really paranoid about lawsuits, they may restrict salvaging or dumpster
diving, but you may be able to slip a friendly attendant a little baksheesh
to have him put aside some promising looking units for you.

As a last resort, many communities have Salvation Army or Goodwill stores
where you can buy MWOs for $5.00 or so.

HTH,
Dave