RE: Res cap size charge

Original poster: "Philip Chalk" <phil-at-apsecurity-dot-com.au>

Hi all,

I have a book named 'Calculus made easy' by Silvanus P. Thompson (3rd
edition, St Martin's Press, New York) Think I got it from Amazon.

It was mentioned by Richard Feynman in one of his books, as the book
with which he taught himself calculus before encountering it at school.
So I thought, Good enough for Feynman, good enough for me.

It is a 250 page paperback, first published 1910. Under the title it
says - "Being a very-simplest introduction to those beautiful methods of
reckoning which are generally called by the terrifying names of the
DIFFERENTIAL CALCULUS and the INTEGRAL CALCULUS." !!

The prologue, in part, says -

"Considering how many fools can calculate, it is surprising that it
should be thought either a difficult or a tedious task for any other
fool to learn how to master the same tricks."

"......The fools who write the text-books of advanced mathematics - and
they are mostly clever fools - seldom take the trouble to show you how
easy the calculations are."

"Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself
the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts
that are not hard.  Master these thoroughly, and the rest will follow.
What one fool can do, another can."

Anyway, it is not an electronics, or engineering-oriented book, though
there are some 'electrical' example problems.  It seems to have been
intended as a school text.

It is however a very good, 'from the ground up' treatment of calculus,
designed to give an understanding of the fundamentals, rather than just
the ability to 'do problems'.

I would recommend it to anyone - especially the mathematically
challenged :-)

Regards,

Phil Chalk