Re: Static gap design...

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/25/04 3:36:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 > Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18-at-hydrogen18-dot-com>
 >
 > What's the best design? I was experimenting with 1/4-20 bolts, a 6.8 pf
 > capacitor and a 7 turn air core coil in the typical Tesla arrangement
 > powered by a 2500 VAC MOT. Even when cooled by 2 120mm fans turning at an
 > insanely high RPM it would glow red hot within seconds. What am I doing
 > wrong? Will a higher voltage help it run cooler? or do I just need more
 > airflow?

Hi Hy
      If you are running your primary tank without a secondary then you are
generating ~ 1kW of heat in the cap-gap-coil loop. No wonder it's getting
hot! If you are really in love with the bolt-type gap then use brass or
aluminum rather than steel. You can make "radiators" for your bolts by
stacking fender washers or copper disks alternately with regular washers on
the back end of the bolt as cooling fins:

Matt D.