Re: Wiring MOTs

Original poster: "S & J Young" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Aaron,

OK, here is one more opinion.  It is an inexpensive method to control the
voltage stresses between the MOT core and the windings.

For a 4-pack, leave the two center MOT cores grounded and attached to its
inner HV winding.  For the outer two MOTs, disconnect the inner HV winding
wire from the core.  Float each core at a voltage half way between ground
and the HV winding outer connection of the inner MOT it is paired with.
This can be done by connecting a string of  10 220K resistors in series
across the inner MOT core and its outer HV winding connection, and connect
the mid-point of the resistor string to the core of the outer MOT.  This
splits the voltage stress equally between the core and the two windings of
the outer MOT (only about 1000 volts between the core and either winding),
and avoids the need for oil.

If you go to a six-pack, then the use of oil for added insulation would be
advisable, at least for the two outer MOTs.  For the outer MOTs of a
six-pack, I would still use a resistor divider to set the core to primary
voltage to be about 1 KV which will reduce the core to secondary winding
voltage by that 1 KV.

--Steve Y.