Re: Over Saturation?

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Hi,
      Flux density is in Teslas, freqency in Hz, area in M squared.We
usually design for about 1.2 T peak flux density for 1 off's, or 1.6 for
toriodial cores. You can go higher but your design needs to be done
carefully then. Ferrites at about 20KHz I usually run at about 0.2 T,
dropping to about 0.1 at 150 KHz Most power ferrites saturate at about
.385 T.
      I once visited a friend who was manufacturing battery chargers and
noticed an output choke with no gap, so told him to take the core out
and save some money as it was not doing anything. He eventually replaced
it with a resistor and had no change in performance.

George"

	OK on the units - that's what I expected.  I was brought up (circa
1942) in the world of maxwells, lines per square inch, oersteds, gauss,
inches, cm, etc.  No wonder I've always had problems with magnetic
circuit design.  Finally settled on oersteds, gauss, and cm (usually
converted from English measure) and all works fine.  I hope everyone her
gets the message that you can't beat the laws of physics and 220 volts
on a 120 volt NST won't work, etc.  Need those turns/volt!

Ed