RE: SSTC theory

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >Then required bandwidth resulted too narrow, and so the coupling
 >between the coils become too loose. This doesn't look as a realistic
 >design...

I had real trouble trying to calculate this one too. Doing it as a
quasi-disruptive design, using conservation of energy, I ended up with 100uH
and 20nF for the primary components, and the primary capacitor would ring to
over 44kV.

Using the L-match approach for a CW design, starting with a secondary top
impedance calculated from (power input/breakout voltage) I couldn't find a
solution at all :( If I wanted a reasonable loaded Q for the primary, the
inductance tended to infinity :((

I haven't figured out how to turn the handle on Antonio's method yet :(((

 >To accumulate 42 J in a reasonable time, you need more input current.

I agree. AFAIK, Steve Ward's medium sized coil was running about 600A peak,
with a 380V DC link, for a ~10J bang energy and 1kW power input.

Steve C.