Re: 50kV xfmr

Original poster: "Arpit Thomas" <arpit-at-inzo-dot-org>

humph. me yhinks jacobs ladder may not be the best application. see 50 x 5
= 250 watts, and that isnt really a huge amount.  It strikes me that while
you may be able to start an arc at a long distance, you won't be able to
draw it out very much further, which is what a jacobs ladder is all
about.  I can't help but think that a 4 pack of MOTs will produce a better
display.    Since its dc, perhaps a better application of this would be
demonstrating charging opjects. perhaps that kirlian photogrophy might
work, perhaps you could use it to make xrays inside a leaded box and show
how it clouds film....