Geek Group's Grand opening of the Avalon Science Facility

Original poster: "Mark Broker" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Something we haven't been publicizing on this list nearly as much as we
should have been is that we, The Geek Group, have finally acquired a lab
worthy of the moniker "Avalon."  Avalon is an 87,000 square foot building
on the east side of Kalamazoo (615 2nd St) that spent most of its life as a
meat processing plant.  Our current home is about 6700 square feet of the
building that is "ours" with free run of the rest of the building.  We have
worked out a deal to purchase the building from the land lord in the
future.  Our dream of a home to make the areas of science and technology
more accessible to the public finally has a foundation!

On Saturday, July 31, starting at 1:30PM and lasting until 6:00PM, we will
be hosting our Grand Opening in which we will have displays and
demonstrations from many aspects of science and technology set up.  It is
also a Teslathon, which will run until everyone is too tired to make
sparks.  We currently have displays and demonstrations in physics, high
voltage and high energy, robotics, astronomy, lasers, amateur radio,
computers, biology, chemistry, and anthropology.  We plan to have an area
open to the public devoted to the high voltage enthusiasts who bring their
projects, but we need to know who's bringing what and how much space and
power they require.  We have sent countless press releases and have had
numerous interviews by local television, radio, newspapers, and magazines
as a result.  We are expecing many visitors as a result of it all.

Everyone on this list is invited to attend the event, whether as a
participant or a visitor.  And, as always, any support you can give, be it
in the form of muscle, brain, goods, services, or money, is more than a
little appreciated.

Please send responses offlist to me to keep Terry happy. ;)

Sincerely,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group