Re: Overvolting pigs?/ NST supply and demand issues

Original poster: Harvey Norris <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: FIFTYGUY-at-aol-dot-com

 > Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
 > writes:
 >
 >  > Probably not. If I understand you are thinking of
 >  >  running an AC motor from the normally high
 > output
 >  >  voltage of the NST
 >
 >      No, I was planning on running the NST
 > *backwards*. High voltage from
 > primary circuit into the NST's HV side to generate
 > 120VAC on what would
 > normally
 > be its primary side to run the SRSG. This way the
 > 120VAC would be coming from
 > the NST, and the house voltage would be nowhere near
 > the primary circuit of
 > the
 > TC.
 >
 > -Phil LaBudde
Oops, thats what I get for making a comment without
reading the entire thread... Bear in mind the current
limitation from secondary also. The 60 hz Nst that has
a 30 ma secondary rating is just that, and if you hook
the primary to a different freq source at 8 times
higher frequency,(in normal fwd voltage rise
direction) with a higher frequency source such as the
480 AC car alternator , when I tried that I also found
that the NST then only supplies 1/8th the normal rated
short circuit value on output. This makes the NST
rather useless for higher frequency input schemes for
tesla coils... Even the normal pole pig suffers an
inherent reduction of nonlinear frequency impedance
gains, a subject under study.  thanx for comment, and
even every off topic reply, (shown here) is good for
research and possible  future application schemes...
  Here it would seem that running an NST backwards as a
step down transformer might not be as effective as
imagined, as they may be better designed for a step up
purpose. Winding linkage between inside and outside
winds are probably also designed with those parameters
in mind. I have no problem with using a smaller 440
volt step up transformer in the reverse direction as a
step down transformer, but that also isnt a current
limited transformer. It would be interesting to see
what you can obtain with driving the NST in reverse as
you wish to see. But it again may be a case of a
transformer exclusively designed for step up voltage
applications also.

HDN