Re: machining copper (fwd)

Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

Gerry,

"Just about any metal known to man" mentioned below, includes brass. I
frequently use WD-40 for brass because it's not as messy and easier to
clean up than "Tap Magic". Tap Magic works on stainless, Inconel, Monel,
Beryllium, Molybdenum, Aluminum, Magnesium, Copper, Bronze, Brass,
Titanium, Cobalt, Nickel, Cast Iron, etc.

Also, and this is one of those tricks of the trade, use a stone to make
a .015" or so flat on each cutting edge of the drill that is parallel to
the centerline of the drill and runs at a 90 degree angle
(perpendicular) to the workpiece. That will keep the drill from
"catching" when breaking through the bottom of the material on brass and
other soft materials. Drills modified in this manner will still work
fine on any other material, but will save you a trip to the emergency
room of your local hospital to re-attach severed fingers!

Ed Wingate RATCB