Re: capacitor discharge current

I think we are both saying the same thing in a slightly different way.  With
impulse generators, as an example, resistance and/or inductance is commonly
added to "stretch" the waveform over time.  A typical lightning impulse, ie,
a 1.5-50 uSec waveform, can be slowed down to a 50-200 uS switching
waveform.

This is usually varied by adding resistance in series with the spark gaps
but in some cases large inductors are added especially if undesireable
"ringing" occurs.

Dr. Resonance

 > Tesla list wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>
 >  >
 >  > It depends on the load you are discharging into.  An inductor, like a
TC
 >  > primary circuit, tends to act as a resistance which in effect slows
down the
 >  > current as it flows in the inductor and builds up the magnetic field.
The
 >  > peak discharge current is limited by this effective resistance (and
 >  > reactance).
 >
 > Hummm... An inductor produces a current that is proportional to the
 > integral of the voltage. If a constant voltage is applied over an
 > inductor, the initial current is zero, and increases linearly with
 > the time. So, it doesn't slow down the current as it builds up the
 > magnetic field, but increases it in proportion to the magnetic field.
 >
 >  > The worst case for your capacitor would be a direct short circuit.
Then the