RE: Resonance, and now magnifiers

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

Paul,

Thanks for posting that, it was very interesting and informative. I have
also been thinking about magnifiers, "concentrated induction", and racing
arcs etc, but in the context of pulsed SSTCs (what Antonio calles "forced
response") that pump most of the energy into one mode, and only excite the
others in "trace" amounts.

In particular, I have been thinking about a large pulsed SSTC magnifier.
(Not my idea btw.) Now, I sort of knew about that idea of tuning the 1/4 and
3/4 modes for higher output voltage, and I also heard that badly tuned
magnifiers have a tendency to flashover their driver coils, that no amount
of insulation will prevent.

So I suppose my questions are:

Does a successful magnifier tuning manipulate the 3/4 wave mode to cause a
voltage _minimum_ around the top of the driver coil and bottom of the extra
coil?

If this is true, would a forced response magnifier that only excites the 1/4
wave mode be practical? Or would it develop an unfeasibly high voltage
across the driver coil, due to not having the cancelling effect of the 3/4
mode?

Steve C.