Re: without wires?

Original poster: "Chris Swinson" <tesla-at-cps-electronics.co.uk>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 6:52 PM
Subject: without wires?

 > Original poster: "steve" <steve_vance-at-cablelynx-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi list,
 > Quick question. I have been coiling about a year and never really thought
 > about this. We all know that Tesla dreamed of using his creation to
transmit
 > electricity to homes without the use of wires. Obviously the first
 > realization of his dream was the creation of the Tesla Coil but how was
the
 > electricity supposed to be received? I know about lighting a gas tube, I
 > have done this myself, but really, This is not a very efficient way to
make
 > light. How was the tc output supposed to be received and converted to
useful
 > power over any reasonable distance?(inverse square law) What am I missing?

Tesla Intended to use coils high up, such as on a large hill or very high
above sea level. He found the higher he went the lower the voltage needed to
break down the air. He found at the right voltage and height he could get
the air to conduct better than any wire or cable. The "surface area" of air
is of course many many times that of what any wire could be. The receiver
needed only to be a long antenna simple to "touch" this electrical path and
in doing this the reciver would pull some current from the transmitter.  It
is the same as a 1:1 ratio transformer, but with "a lot" of air as the core.
Tesla latter moved onto conduction via the earth.

Chris