RE: THOR Bang energy vs. streamer length measured

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >I had almost no feedback. Was it
 >because the most of you was on vacation or because this material is
 >simply not for you (don't care, too difficult, useless, just crap,
 >etc.)?

I read your report carefully. From what I understood (my knowledge of
statistics isn't great) I couldn't fault it.

It was great that you managed to fit the data to a known distribution
function, this should silence John Couture's "Power vs. energy" debates once
and for all, since it proves that controlled spark and occasional spark
measurements are just two sides of the same coin, and using your results, we
could convert between them.

However, it would be great if you went that little bit further :) The $64000
question for many coilers is:

"What combination of bang energy and break rate will make my coil produce
the biggest sparks for a given input power"

You could probably extract the answer from your existing database without
doing any more experimental work. You can just pick data sets that
correspond to the same input power (eg, 8J 200BPS, 4J 400BPS, etc) and for
each of these, use the distribution function to find the estimated
once-a-minute spark length.

(example: at 400bps, the once a minute spark has a probability of 1 in
24000. using the weibull function that you fitted to your data points, you
should be able to find the spark length corresponding to this probability)

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/