RE: THOR Bang energy vs. streamer length measured

Original poster: "Denicolai, Marco" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>

Hi Malcolm,

 > That is particularly interesting because the result shows a
 > deviation from a simple power dependence. Now the dependency
 > becomes voltage and/or charge availability,......
 > perhaps..... because we don't really know what part the
 > oscillations might play in spark initiation, propagation with
 > repetition and continuance. i.e. the oscillations occurring
 > before the secondary is drained by the output discharge are
 > continuously altering the instantaneous charge availability
 > at the terminal.
 >
 > Malcolm
 > <snip>

Well, actually we do know something. From previous literature and from
what I saw from probing the grounded stick current.

1. The filaments start at the positive semiwave time, as the inception
voltage for positive polarity is always lower than for negative one.

2. The filaments elongate also during the following negative (and
positive) semiwaves.

3. The portion of the semiwave pumping charge into the gap grows from
semiwave to semiwave. If we talk abot degrees of a sinewave (from 0 to
180) regardless of its polarity, the first semiwave conducts, say, from
80 to 100 degrees. The second from 70 to 110 degrees, the third from 60
to 120 and so on. This reflects the gap (channel) charge accumulation
and the lowering of its corona inception voltage. At the end, the whole
semiwave will generate current i.e. charge conduction in the channel.

The above are raw results that I still need to investigate (and
document) thoroughly. That's what my PhD could possibly be about :)

Best Regards