RE: More THOR Expts

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >An increased useful BPS would indicate a charge-available dependence.

I think you may find that the dependence is the opposite way round i.e. the
more charge there is available, the lower the maximum useful BPS is.

I believe this because I have seen that I get worthwhile increases in spark
length all the way up to 1200 bps on my mini OLTC (with 0.4J), but the big
OLTC (with 7J)doesn't really improve much above 400bps.

I also noticed that when I rebuilt my Tesla-2 as a DRSSTC (~5J energy), the
maximum useful BPS only seemed to be about 100, whereas it had been about
300 to 400 with the spark-gap driver (2.5J energy).

Now as I'm sure Malcolm will point out, I haven't kept topload voltage (or
indeed the size/type of coil!) constant when changing the amount of charge
delivered in these experiments. I don't know if this invalidates my results.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/