Water HV divider (was RE: Water resistors electrodes)

Original poster: Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com

Hi all,

Ok, I was cheating. Actually I want to build a water HV divider. The
basic principle can be found in my quick-and-dirty page:

http://www.iki.fi/dncmrc/work/hv_divider.htm

Chek also the link in there for a commercial version of it.

Jim, you have got good hints on your water resistor page. I thought to
use copper because I want to use a copper valve and copper is easier to
solder than stainless steel :)

What about removing the air bubbles the same way than for old rolled
capacitors? I have got an old refrigerator compressor that I can use as
vacuum pump. Transformer oil foamed quite easily, what about water?

I plan to use a copper plate for top and another for bottom electrode.
On the outside two aluminium toroids. The bottom copper plate mount a
BNC connector, body to the bottom (GND) plate, conductor soldered to a
second copper plate (the grid) that, therefore, is some millimiters
spaced from the bottom electrode and works as the divider tap.
Capacitance, resistance and inductance ratios should be all
automatically balanced by the geometry -> reduced compensation problems.

The tube is made of plexiglass. On the top a brass hose barb or a copper
valve for filling and air removal. Thermal dilatation remains a
problem....

Ideas, suggestions?

Best Regards