From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 5:32 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Modeling E-Fields of Tesla Coil - Building a model

Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation"
<dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>

I have ANSOFT's Maxwell 2D and 3D program which can do both
magnetostatic and electrostatic modeling. Just had a few questions for
how to properly model a tesla coil.

    The work of Paul suggest that the voltage rise along
    the secondary is somewhere between linear and sine. This
    is far from a complete answer. But make your assumption
    and see what happens.

SECONDARY COIL
*****************
Can I make the assumption that voltage is evenly distributed down the
secondary coil from the potential seen on the top load to the ground
plane (0V)?  If so, I would probably split the secondary into a number
of smaller disks and assign a potential for each disk.

FOR SINGLE TOROID
*******************
For a single toroid, i assume the entire toroid should be set at a
single voltage.

    A charge placed on a toroid will distribute itself so that the
potential is
    the same at every point of the surface.

FOR DOUBLE STACK TOROIDS
****************************
How do you treat the potential across say two stacked toroids.  Do you
assume each toroid has equal potential ? ? ?

    Same as for a single toroid.

BREAK-OUT POINTS
Should be easy enough by merely putting a small dib on the toroid.

    The electric field will be more intense at a pointed portion of
    a surface.

Any other thoughts or comments??

    The simulator might work if you can input the correct distributions,
but
    what might they be?

Thanks

Dan