RE: ISSTC questions

Original poster: "David Trimmell" <humanb-at-chaoticuniverse-dot-com>

Hi, I appreciate the suggestions. I am running on 190V max DC using
5800uF electrolytic filter cap between the full wave bridge and the
Half-bridge. I think there are two things I am going to try; one, reduce
the number of primary turns to 5 (from 8), and two make the last turn
and a half tapable (is that a real word?). I need to find the actual
frequency with topload of my coil, will use my frequency meter or scope.
But calculate ~170-180 KHz. Then tune the tank in. We will see... Oh
yeah, I am also using a GDT with 16 turns 1:1:1, so I am only getting
+15V and -15V to the gates, so does it really improve performance to go
to 1:2:2 (+30V & -30V)? Or is that more for stability at high power? I
guess I don't really understand the idea of pushing the gate voltage up
so high.

But must say I think worst problem I am having with this is with my Wife
;-P
Will tell you, these guys are loud! And, of course, I have to try and
see just how shrill I can get this baby! I need those 20 acres in the
wilderness more than ever! Would help with some of my Pyro experiments
also ;-)

Thanks for the input,

David Trimmell