Re: living room lights don't work!!

Original poster: MShock8073-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 6/8/2004 10:52:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
living
 > room lights and outlets no longer work. The breaker was not poped.

Been seeing alot of posts on this subject. All sorts of advice. Personally
I appreciated Terry's immediate suggestion to hire a pro to fix the problem
before your house goes up in flames. But, apparently you're trying to
figure out the "why" rather than the "how to fix properly". Let me get the
sitrep... The lights and receptacles quit working and the breaker did not
trip. You reset the breaker by cycling it and the circuit still did not
revive. You checked to see if the 120VAC is present on the output lug on
the breaker? Or pulled the breaker and checked it to see if it was a
continous circuit? I would check to see if the 120 was on the output. There
are no GFCI receptacles on the branch either hidden behind furniture or in
a crawl space that is tripped? If this is the case then IMHO I would say
that you have had a back wired receptacle blow out a contact lug from
overcurrent. I have seen it multiple times. Backwiring is the process of
just jamming stripped wires into springloaded connectors in the backs of
the receptacle devices. The friction based backwire ports on plugins do not
have the surface area in contact with the wires as using the screw down
lugs on the sides of the receptacles, are more sensitive to corrosion and
movement, and are less capable of carrying current.

Do you know if the receptacles are back wired or not? I pulled my hair out
over this problem once in my own home. I unscrewed a blown bulb and the
base terminal had come loose. When the bulb was removed the switch was on,
and it the bulb's base shorted the circuit. The branch went off, but the
breaker didn't throw. Days later I found a bad back-wired plugin hidden in
the crawl space that I didn't even know was there. I stripped back some
insulation and screw-wired it back into the circuit and everything works
now. I have been "fixing" the remaining back wired devices, as I get to
them, ever since. You could also have a poor wire nut connection in a box
somewhere in the circuit. Either way, if the circuit recloses suddenly
and/or then opens under load, IT CAN SPIT MOLTEN METAL CHUNKS INTO THE
HIDDEN SPACES IN YOUR WALLS, and therby burn your house down in short
order. It needs to be identified and fixed properly.

Marc S.