Re: living room lights don't work!!

Original poster: John <fireba8104-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Ed,
Yes I went around the room with a Volt meter. At first I thought I
discovered the source of the problem but it turned out that particular wall
was connected to a different circuit than the rest of the room. The outlets
at fault, or any others, did not have a single volt on them which made me
believe it was in the circuit box as so many suggested.
Cheers,
John

Original poster: Ed Phillips

"I'd doubt that running the coil would cause a short in the line, I've
had
this problem before when I was running my SSTC in the house, it caused
the
GFIs to trip, and I went INSANE trying to find the problem, when I
finnally
ruled it out when I saw the little yellow light on the GFI, indicating
it
was tripped."

Not sure about the first part of that. I suspect that if a hot
streamer were to connect itself to closely-spaced AC conductors it could
start an arc which would be fed by the power line and result in melted
copper if the breaker didn't go first. I recall a couple of articles
from QST magazine way back in "the good old spark days" reporting where
"kick-back" (coupling from the transmitter output) into the power line
caused "power arcs" to start in light sockets with r! esulting melted
brass and blown fuses (this was ~1921).

Ed

P.S. With regard to the lights, did the author try simply doing some
"signal tracing" with his VM to see where the line was open?