Re: Rotary SG Safety

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

Jim,

Lexan is rather flexible so 1/8" is rather thin for a rotor.  Whenever
I use Lexan, I use 3/8" thick Lexan.

Also, since tungsten is so brittle, it's even more important that
the rotor is very rigid so the electrodes can never strike each other.
I usually use copper or steel electrodes with lexan rotors.  My
electrodes crashed on my G-10 rotor shown at my website.  The
only damage was bent fixed electrodes.  I straightened them
with a sledgehammer and all is well.  I often round the ends of
the electrodes some so they're more likely to slide past each
other if the electrodes crash.

When using Lexan, one must be sure the electrodes do not
run too hot or trouble will result.

And I agree, great attention to safety must always be paid to all aspects
of coiling.

John