RE: ISSTC Components

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >If you think I jest, consider Greg Leyh's heroic exploits in Z transform
 >pulse power at SLAC in trying to replace 30yr + vintage thyratrons with
IGBT's.

Us high power SSTCers have been watching Greg Leyh's exploits with great
interest. I remember reading Greg's papers and thinking "wow, if IGBT bricks
can stand that kind of abuse, they should breeze along in an OLTC".

So it was partly Greg's work that encouraged me to build the OLTC II. And
this turned out to be correct, the IGBTs can happily stand the high
currents, as long as they don't see excessive di/dt.

The resonant primary SSTC also does a great job of controlling di/dt because
of its zero current switching, and that is why Steve, Jimmy H. et al. get
such great results, and don't blow any IGBTs (well not many)

Steve C.
http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/