Re: Self-Resonant Driver Boards (DRSSTC, ISSTC, etc...) Bulk Purchase ? ? ? ? Anyone ? ? ?

Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation" <dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>

 > Good, because the way you had put it,  it seemed as though the circuit was
 > only to protect the driver chips and not the transistors in the bridge,  I
 > guess that would go hand in hand though...

Correct.

 > It might be wise to allow some sort of heatsinking on the driver chips,
 > incase they would get warm,  But if you're using the UCC27321,  I don't
 > think that would be needed, as they have a wider temperature operating
 > range.

Heatsinks really aren't needed.  If you do the calculations for power
dissipation at 10-15% duty cycle running 20nF gate loads (-30 to +30V
swings)
with the UCC chips, there really is no heat dissipation at all.

Remember heat dissipation of the gate driver is:

C * V^2 * Freq * Duty * DividingFactor

C = capacitance of gate loads (typically 20nF + 20nF per paralleled set)
V = 60V (Yes, you are swinging from -30V to +30V with the current
configurations that Steve and I use)
Freq = 50-200kHz (depends on coil)
Duty = 15%
Dividing Factor = (ON Resistance of Drivers/(SeriesGateResistor+ON
Resistance Drivers))

Dan