Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 6/22/04 3:52:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>The way i see it is, i havent blown the 20A fuse yet and ive had several
>long runs so far (telling me it likely isnt pulling more than 20A).  Other
>thing is that my coil slightly beats Freau's spark length formula... well
>this makes perfect sense, no gap losses (and i will tell you, my power
>components arent wasting much at all, they run cold to the touch).

Steve,

Your SSTC results are truly fantastic and have progressed much
faster than I ever expected.   It makes sense that the losses are lower
than in a spark gap TC.  A good spark gap TC in the larger sizes can
sometimes approach

    spark length inches = 2*sqrt input watts

The 1.7* figure that I usually use is a good average figure for
efficient coils but since larger coils tend to be more efficient, they
can reach a higher coefficient figure.

Some 20A breakers can supply somewhat more than 20 amps for awhile.

I point all this out just to fill in the picture a little.

John.