Re: Air core flybacks, small flybacks and self resonance........

You can excite it with a sig gen and view the results on a scope with a 1
meg series resistor on the flys output.  Keep the sig gen level low as you
search for resonance, especially if it's one of the good 20 V p-p styles.
At low power you won't saturate the core.

With the core, the usual freq is in the 25-28KHZ range.

If you intend to use MOSFET switchers on 120 VAC to drive the fly, then use
approx 70-80 turns of # 24-26 AWG.

Dr. Resonance