RE: Variac??? solid state speed control

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >The RF usually kills a solid state speed controller or locks it "full on".

I have run my small SGTC using a lamp dimmer (a special one meant for low
voltage halogen lamps, $20 from home depot etc) to control the ARSG. It
worked fine and there were no interference troubles.

I think the snubber circuit, which is meant to stop RF interference coming
_out_ of the dimmer and messing up your AM radio reception, also does an OK
job at stopping RF from the TC coming into the dimmer.

This was a 3.5" x 20" coil powered off a single MOT, operating at 270kHz and
giving about 3ft of streamers. Maybe with BIGGG coils it would not work so
well...

Steve C.