Re: Breakdown voltage in HV transmission lines (was: this was..)

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

Antonio,  This has interesting implications for lifters which have a 'corona
wire'.  I have observed that the corona is only really evident at the
terminations of the balsa uprights or where there are kinks in the wire.
They also don't arc over in the mid section of the wire unless it is too
loose and flaps around too much.  I would expect that maximising corona
would improve lifting efficiency. It would be nice to have a wire with
conductive projections like fluff than a smooth straight albeit thin one.
Peter
http://tesladownunder.iinet-dot-net.au/