Re: Magnet Wire Sources

Original poster: "Daniel Barrett" <dbarrett1-at-austin.rr-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>
 > If you're having tracking problems there is the definite possibility that
 > your coeff. of coupling is too tight.  With a 3-4 inch dia. coil usually
the
 > sec. starts 1.5 - 2 inches above the horizontal plane of the primary.
With
 > a 6 inch form the sec. rise to 3.5-4 inches above the primary plane.
 > Inner turn to primary to coilform distance is 1.5 inches.

     Yeah, my K is very high on this coil (it's an 8 inch). I have been
running the bottom sec turn about 1/4 inch above the pri plane for several
months now. I set up up as tight as I could get it without racing sparks and
ran it that way for quite a while. Pri/sec clearance is your standard 1.5
inch.  I was bitten by the same thing that got several of us in the past-
small., invisible fire on the back side of the coil form. I'll definitely be
kinder to the new secondary, but it's been a lot of fun to push "model #1"
to the limit. At least I can say the power supply is now pretty bullet
proof. Only the secondary ever catches on fire anymore. It's almost boring
to power it up because I "know" they won't be any silicon shrapnel ;)

 > I don't have the chart handy.  You should check with the mfgr as there is
 > slight variation between mfgrs and the thickness they use.

     http://www.wiretron-dot-com/magnet.html has a little piece of software that
provides charts for the various types (at least what they sell). It appears
that "heavy" build has an OD of .0276 +/1 about 2% for 36 TPI, which sounds
about right.
#20 comes out at 28 TPI which is dead on with coil #1.

     Thanks for the help!
db