Re: Magnet Wire Sources

On your upper base assembly add a small drilled and tapped 1 x 1 inch x 3/8
inch thick piece of brass.  The sec coil should also have a brass stud out
it's base so it will screw into the brass plate.  A small separate hole is
drilled and tapped for ground wire attachment.

Make the stud on your sec coil extra long, like 2-3 inches long.

Now you can slip a tight piece of thickwall tygon tubing around it, gently
bend the tubing 90 degrees, and slip the other end over a variable slow
speed elec. drill or small DC gearmotor.

This will allow you to run the sec coil up and down while it's running so
you can see the dramatic effects of coeff. of coupling adjustment to spark
output.

After you do this with your proposed 8 inch coil please report back to the
list the results of your experiments.  I'm betting with an 8 inch dia. coil
you will require an elevation of around 5 inches (first lower turn to sec to
horizontal plane of primary measurement).  Let us know your results.

Other experimenters may wish to try this with their 4, 6, 10, 12, 16 inch
coilforms.

We make a lot of 18 inch dia. coils and found 7 inches to be the most
effective coeff. of coupling.  For our 24 inch dia. coils it requires 9
inches for best performance.

Most experimenters way over-couple their coils and lose performance that
they are not even aware is available.

Happy coiling,

Dr. Resonance