Re: NSTand PT replacement xmfrs

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Daniel McCauley wrote:
<snip/>
>So, although these high voltage transformers are getting more difficult to
>find, they are no longer a requirement to have a tesla coil
>putting out some serious arcs.
<snip/>

I have to play Devil's Advocate here.  My electronics background is digital
- I feel most comfortable with a board full of chips.

However, as this is (for most of us) a hobby, I can see a strong appeal in
going for a "heritage" design, even if it can be out-performed by modern,
semiconductor-based designs.

Comparison: Our new house (nowhere near the shed where I'll be coiling!) is
full of computing power and high-tech gadgetry, yet I get out in the garden
on a 1958 tractor.  My wife's Volvo is probably the best car I've ever
driven, but I still miss my 1972 Landrover...

Conclusion: There's room for both!

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith