Re: Brass Corona Rings

Original poster: David Speck <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Gerry,

Shops that repair lamps and lighting items will stock brass tube in a
variety of sizes, though most of what I've encountered is hard drawn
brass.  It might be possible to anneal it.  I know you can soften copper by
heating it to a red heat and quenching it on water (works the opposite of
tempering steel).  I'm not sure the same works for brass, it being an
alloy, but a metalworking reference might be able to help you out there.

Bending it into a ring without kinking it would be a challenge, though you
might be able to fill the tube with a hard wax, bend it around a wood
mandrel, and then melt out the wax.  It may also be possible to fill the
tube with hard packed sand instead.

Just be sure to leave a gap in the ring to keep it from acting as a shorted
turn.

HTH,
Dave