Re: 280 Variac + 4 Pack MOT wiring

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Young Hydrogen18,

Getting the grounding correct is not easy, so although it would probably be
too harsh to say that you "Missed the point completely", still your circuit
would not work as intended in the state that you have posted it.

The center connection of the 2 sets of MOT`s primary`s are connected to the
wiper of the variac, that`s ok.
The other side of the MOT pairs are connected together and stuck into the
ground.
If you intend to actually connect it to a ground rod, bear in mind that the
impedance of a ground connection is high, and might not allow the passage
of high currents without a voltage drop.
But even then, if you are omitting to draw, but imply a wire to the center
of the distribution transformer, it won`t work well:
With the variac at it`s CCW position, you will have 120volts across the
paralleled MOT pairs, with the wiper in the midle position, you wil get 0
volts and at the CW position there will again only appear the 1/2 voltage
across your mot`s primary windings.

What you need to do is simple, though:

Establish a virtual "neutral" reference at one end of the variac, either
will do equally well, it only depends on which direction you want to turn
the variac to "turn up the wick", and connect the formerly grounded wire
from the MOT`s to this point, and you will be up and flying.

If you have the secondary`s phased relative to the primary`s, that is...

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Finn Hammer