Re: Oil in caps

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

- snip -

>This rotation process seems pretty unique. All the catalogs for high voltage
>liquid filled caps I see state any operation orientation is acceptable,
>since they either don't have any air in them, or just a small bubble of air.
>The general atomics cap I have has a small air bubble that you can see up on
>the terminal section, it doesn't seem large enough to cause anything to ever
>dry out. All the metal canned caps are apparently air-less and therefor
>bubble free. Even large canned electrolytic caps (with the exception of
>"long life" units from Evox) are full of air and have no free fluid
>splashing around. Electroyltics depend on the paper being wet to function
>properly, drying out would destroy them. This doesn't seem to happen unless
>the can leaks.
>
>KEN

Ken,

I agree.  I thought it was strange in the beginning when Condendser
Products told me that I needed to rotate their caps.  You would think they
would have enough oil in them to cover all the internal cap sections - at
lease in a horizontal position - with a small air gap at the top.  In
reality they must be only one half or three quarters full of oil.  I wonder
if the oil level can be seen in an x-ray photo.

Ed Sonderman