Re: sf6 dielectric strength

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "Virtualgod" <mike.marcum-at-zoomtown-dot-com>
>Anyone know or have a table listing the dielectric properties of sf6 at
>various pressures including 1atm? After a google search all I find are
>people selling it and MSDS sheets.
>
>.

Mike,

Like other gases, the dielectric strength of SF6 is a fairly linear
function of pressure until you approach the point of liquefaction (~320
PSI). The approximate breakdown voltage as a function of pressure from 0
(~160 V/mil) to 75 PSI (~800 V/mil) can be found in figure 2 in the
following overview of SF6 physical and electrical properties:
http://www.weidmannb2b.biz/WACTI/pdf/sulfur_hexaflouride.pdf

Best regards,

-- Bert --