Re: Image legality

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 7:36 AM
Subject: Re: Image legality

 > Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
 >
 > Heh..
 > I have to say that this sort of thing occurs all the time (not that it's
ok,
 > it's just remarkably prevalent
<snip>

 > More insidious is PhD candidates including wholesale copies of your text
in
 > their thesis.
<snip>

 > I've also hammered a high school newspaper, essentially for the same
reason.
<snip>

An important point in the two cases I've cited above....

In the cases, I asked nicely the first time, and only after getting the
"blow-off" answer ("we don't care, we don't have to") did I wheel in the
heavy guns.

I have had my material copied dozens and dozens of times (without
permission), and in the vast majority of cases when the infringer is
notified, they put up an appropriate notice, and I'm happy for it.  It's
just those "I'm too busy, I'm too poor, It doesn't matter" cases that get my
dander up.