Re: Metal Selection for gap.

Original poster: Kurt Schraner <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Luke,

specific heat is not the only physical property, determining the
temperature of the electrodes. For the STATIONARY condition it's even not
relevant, but HEAT CONDUCTIVITY of the material is. Of course, stationary
heat transfer, is not exactly, what we have in spark gaps, and so you are
right to consider SPECIFIC HEAT as well. And DENSITY would needed to be
taken into account further, because

   density * electrode volume * specific heat[J/kg]
   --- electrode mass [kg]---

determines the heat[J] storage capacity of the electrode.

But that's only the minor part of the problem: Electrode temperature is
determined by the far more complex INSTATIONARY heat transfer...

1.) from spark to electrode metal
2.) to accumulation of heat in the metal over spark's time
     (Well: periodically repeated by the BPS...)
3.) to transfer the heat by conduction to the whole electrode surfaces
4.) to transfer the heat by convective heat transfer to the forced
     air stream, flowing around the electrode (laminar or turbulent)

...and from my own experience with heat transfer, you would only need to
consider the first and the last one, for the speed of heat transfer to -
and away from the electrode, because heat transfer resistance from a gas to
a solid metal surface (and vice versa) is order of magnitude less than
inside the metal.

Obviously pt.4.) is depending on air flow around the electrode, how much,
and in what geometrical arrangement... Heat transfer to flowing fluids can
be threated following Nusselt's theory.

Pt. 2.) and 3.) depend on electrode material properties, and they are
relevant for the instationary part of the problem, which would become a
quasistationary one, taken a number of cycles of the BPS(-> so depend on
BPS as well)

But that's not all, regarding quenching, considering what Bert Hickman
reported recently, in thread "quenching question" - I cite Bert (from
today's mail):

"1. No portion of the electrodes can remain incandescent. This is often a
problem, since an incandescent cathode spot is normally created whenever we
form an arc. If the cathode spot cannot be cooled quickly, it remains a
profuse source of thermal electrons. The free electrons are then
accelerated by E-field in the gap, where they can retrigger spark
breakdown, and arc reignition. Using more massive electrodes, external
cooling, and selected refractory metals or excellent thermal conductors
(copper, molybdenum, tungsten) helps. It's also important to prevent
buildup of oxidation byproducts since these can also become sources of
thermal electrons."

We see: here is another material property, taking serious influence on
quenching of a TC sparkgap (may be it's not the last ;-)... ). So far we
have the following metal properies inside the system determining gap quenching:

specific heat
density
thermal conductivity
"cathode spot cooling ability"

It would perhaps be a valuable simulation project, in order to get an idea
about the thermal parameters of a forced air cooled multigap à la Terry or
TCBOR or ....?, - not to mention the quenching behavior. Some properties of
5 commonly used gap metals at 20C:

              Density     specific heat  thermal cond. Tmelt
              kg/liter       J/kg K        W/m K         C
Copper         8.9            390          393        1083
Tungsten      19.3            142          197        3380
Brass MS72     8.56           390           92         920
SS V2A         7.88           500           21        1400
Zinc           7.14           376          109         419

I'm shure, other members of the list are able to provide deeper insight on
the relevant problems, but wanted just to point out, using specific heat as
a selection criterion for gap material, not to be adequate.

Best regards
Kurt