Re: Please help ! IGBT exploded ...

Original poster: Sean Taylor <sstaylor-at-uiuc.edu>

IGBTs will tend to be a lot slower than FETs - and have a lot higher gate
capacitance.  I'm guessing you had shoot through, and the immense current
blew the IGBTs.  ALWAYS ALWAYS do low voltage testing before applying the
full voltage - use a variac and monitor the input current, or run from a 12
VDC source first and check all the waveforms - see if the output devices
have the right gate waveforms, and are in fact turning on and off at the
right times.

If you'd like, I'll post a schematic for a simple deat time controller so
that you can add a small amount of "off" time in between pulses while
waiting for the IGBTs to turn off.

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL