RE: TC Spark Energy

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Very true.  But the problem is accurately identifying the gap breakdown
voltage.  I'm not sure just stating that "the gaps were set so they just
barely fire with just the NST connected"  would be useful.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Gary,

On 9 Mar 2004, at 20:34, Tesla list wrote:

  > Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>
  >
  > Since John is asking about Joules, this implies he is talking about
  > single-shot operation.  While this may be useful for quantifying
  > efficiency in that mode of operation, single-shot operation is not
  > something most of us are equipped to do.  A DC power supply is needed.
  >
  > Gary Lau
  > MA, USA

It actually isn't all that hard to get close with a mains-resonant
cap/NST combo and a variac slowly turned up until the gap just fires
occasionally.

Malcolm